At Johnson & Johnson, our ERGs are led by senior leaders and sponsored by Johnson & Johnson Executive Committee Members.
Across our Enterprise, DEI networks play a vital role in driving outcomes and business impact. They offer opportunities for those with similar affinities and interests to share perspectives, support each other and drive our strategy forward using their unique insights and experience.
Our 12 enterprise-wide Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) are voluntary, employee-led groups that focus on shared identities, affinities and experiences, and are uniquely positioned to provide key insights to help drive better outcomes on behalf of our people, our patients and consumers, our communities and our business.
Did you know?
In 2022, the ERGs demonstrated an active year in support of each pillar of our DEI strategy: almost all ERGs increased their membership in 2022, many launched new chapters regionally and globally and all engaged internally and externally to make a positive impact in areas they are uniquely positioned to advance.
employees engaged in ERGs in 2022
ERG chapters globally in 2022, including 12 enterprise-wide chapters
Read on for a selection of ERG achievements in 2022:
African Ancestry Leadership Council (AALC)
- Hosted the 5 Conscious Actions Series in EMEA covering the equity challenges and opportunities that exist outside of the U.S. and launched a second cohort of the AALC Consumer Mentoring program to support the development of ERG members.
- Continued the global Black Women’s Health Experience with a monthly discussion on specific health challenges that Black women experience, in order to provide insights and inspire action across Johnson & Johnson.
- Engaged employees of Johnson & Johnson in Switzerland as part of the Cycling for Health Equity initiative, with our employees cycling almost 470,000 kilometers from our Swiss sites to the Johnson & Johnson Campus in Zug. The kilometers cycled were converted into a financial donation to support the afro-descendent community in Switzerland.
Alliance for Diverse Abilities (ADA)
- Hosted several events to raise awareness and acceptance on notable days such as the International Day of Persons with Disabilities, Neurodiversity Celebration Week and World Mental Health Day.
- Continued partnership with Lime Connect, the largest network of high-potential university students and professionals who have visible and non-visible disabilities, through active participation in recruiting and learning events.
- Presented Aligning Mental Health in an ERG Strategy at the 2022 Women of Color in Pharma conference and provided a resource guide to major hospital systems and MedTech customers.
Association of Middle Eastern & North African Leadership & Inclusion (AMENA)
- Produced a Ramadan infomercial on fasting to educate leaders and strengthen cultural competency to support employees who observe the month of Ramadan.
- Conducted the Humans of AMENA Region Learning Series, focused on Egypt and Lebanon, to improve understanding of the regional and country differences and advance representation of MENA cultures.
- Worked with WLI ERG to host a WLI & Women of MENA in Tech networking event to empower MENA women in at Johnson & Johnson.
Asian Society for Innovation and Achievement (ASIA)
- Hosted a culture fashion parade, where employees represented countries from all over the world and dressed in their traditional outfits, deepening an understanding of identity, heritage and history.
- Developed cultural fluency workshops on the art of giving feedback through a cultural lens to support Asian employees and drive inclusion.
- Displayed Asian culture sound boards for TYLENOL & NEUTROGENA Asian Experience workshops.
- Hosted a professions fair in LATAM to provide members with information about career opportunities in Johnson & Johnson, including roles in supply chain, engineering and information technology.
- Piloted the 30 Under 30 program in China to recognize employee achievements inside and outside of work, addressing negative perceptions about the contribution of younger generations.
- Relaunched Innovation Sessions in Mexico and Colombia with external entrepreneurs to spark ideas and inspiration.
- Worked with Johnson & Johnson’s human resources teams and external organizations such as the Society for the Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS) and the Hispanic Alliance for Career Enhancement (HACE) to attract Hispanic & Latino talent.
- Promoted mental health awareness programs for employees and the Hispanic and Latino community through the Johnson & Johnson Hispanic and Latino Physician Network.
- Supported the translation of 50 Janssen products, including prescribing information, medication guides, instructions for use and patient package inserts.
- Co-launched, with Johnson & Johnson Nursing, a virtual National Nurses Week Summit to engage employees in recognizing the irreplaceable impact of nurses in improving healthcare.
- Worked on the development of a culturally inclusive toolbox to educate nurses on inclusive care.
- Supported Johnson & Johnson Nursing 2022 Nurse Hack-4-Health event, collaborating on innovative ideas for tech-based products to help address today’s most pressing healthcare challenges.
- Launched the first LGBTQIA+ Global Talent Development Program to facilitate leadership development for LGBTQIA+ employees at Johnson & Johnson.
- Increased internal awareness of issues that impact the LGBTQIA+ community through annual campaigns including Transgender Day of Visibility, International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia and #GoPurple.
- Sponsored the True Colors Day campaign, an international day of advocacy around preventing and ending LGBTQIA+ youth homelessness.
- Supported the American Pharmacists Association and the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists for the 2022 You Stand By Us All campaign to help foster relationships with pharmacists and raise awareness of pharmacists’ roles in addressing health inequities.
- Developed webinars with the Industry Pharmacists Organization to showcase post-doctoral fellowship programs affiliated with Johnson & Johnson and highlight diverse career roles for pharmacists in industry.
- Continued outreach events at Colleges of Pharmacy to introduce student pharmacists to the breadth of opportunities available within the pharmaceutical industry.
South Asian Professional Network Association (SAPNA)
- Published a 3-part series highlighting South Asian contributions to Johnson & Johnson history from 1909 – 2022 in the areas of innovation, culture and leadership.
- In collaboration with WLI ERG, promoted the Healthcare Businesswomen’s Association (HBA) Ambassador program to SAPNA members to be paired with senior leaders to develop leadership skills and grow relationships.
- Advised the DEI in Clinical Trials (DEICT) team to help drive greater representation of South Asians in clinical trials.
Veterans Leadership Council (VLC)
- Launched an enterprise-wide leadership training program that uses military frameworks to facilitate better decision making.
- Collaborated with Ethicon Biosurgery to lead the Company’s first Capstone Project with the U.S. Military Academy West Point Department of Systems Engineering.
- Hosted an event with the American Corporate Partners mentorship program that provides mentoring for Veterans and eligible spouses on their path towards fulfilling careers.
Women’s Leadership & Inclusion (WLI)
- Rolled out an Engaging Men as Allies toolkit and training across the globe to increase awareness and engagement of men as allies for women.
- Led Inspira, a virtual series of quarterly conversations, to inspire Johnson & Johnson women employees around LATAM through stories and conversations with female leaders and influencers.
- Expanded the Women of Orthopedics program to inspire women, drive advocacy, and build allyship through the advancement of women and elevation of female surgeon leadership.
- Launched a new WLI Chapter in Saudi Arabia in March 2022 and celebrated this achievement on International Women’s Day in March 2023 with events including inspiring academic and business leaders.